The Top 10 Things Every New Puppy Owner Should Know
Getting a puppy can be overwhelming for many people, even seasoned dog owners. Puppies have their own personalities and breed requirements, and those first few weeks can be daunting.
To help you we have put together the top 10 tips, but if you have any questions please put them in the comment box below.
- It may take several months before your puppy is toilet trained well.
- You should start positive, reward based training with your puppy as soon as you bring it home.
- Your puppy needs to chew – it’s how he or she explores their new world.
- Your puppy needs to use its teeth – provide proper toys and food which will allow your puppy to exercise its jaws and teeth.
- Take your puppy out in the car in a proper harness or car restraint as least once a week.
- Get your puppy used to wearing a collar as soon as possible.
- Make sure your puppy gets used to having a leash attached to its collar. Use a light weight leash, and walk your puppy around the backyard.
- Don’t allow your puppy to do anything you won’t want it to do when it is grown.
- Make sure your puppy is wormed and had its shots.
- Don’t bathe your puppy more than once a month as the chemicals in shampoos can irritate its skin
Join My Puppy Club’s Facebook Group and meet up with other puppy owners. Get free tips and advice, and share your puppy’s pics. Click on the link below.